Our skin encounters a host of toxins, organisms, and physical stresses every day. Skin is more than just a physical barrier, it is an active immune system organ. As such, it's important to nourish and support our skin and internal systems for a healthy glow.
Here are some considerations for healthier skin:
- First and foremost: Be gentle with yourself and LOVE YOUR SKIN, no matter what it looks or feels like right now. The color of your skin, freckles, moles, scars, blemishes – your unique characteristics add so much beauty to your essence!
- If possible, stay away from using harsh chemicals in personal care items or even in cleaning supplies. Up to 60% of what we put on our skin gets absorbed into our bodies. We want to nourish our skin and body – not poison it!
- Limit processed foods, sugar, and caffeine and incorporate more fresh vegetables, fruits, and adequate protein into your diet. Many skin problems are rooted in the digestive system or the liver. Say it with me now: what we consume affects the health of our skin! And of course, stay hydrated! 💦
- Don't stay up too late and skimp out on rest. Consider shifting your nightly routine to make room for more rest. Cuz you know what? Rest is our birthright. Your skin goes through most of its restoration while you sleep. So go catch you some Zzz's.
- Protect your skin daily from harsh UV rays. And yes, melanated skin still needs protection, even on overcast days. Use an SPF that feels good to you and apply gently to work it into your skin.
- Wash your face (especially before bedtime) and moisturize after washing. Use a gentle face soap for daily washing and exfoliate (not too often) to restore natural radiance.